Hey! How have you been? I bet you thought this blog was dead. My apologies but I needed to take the year off and focus on the shop. But I assure you that I will be adding more content on a regular basis now.
If you did not know, I maintain another blog that I dub "On the Bench" that I've been keeping very up-to-date. Why two separate blogs? Well, I wanted to maintain the more in-depth articles here on this blog while having another outlet to do quickly-captioned single-photo updates of the work on my bench each week.
Love to wallow in the mire with details and geek out on shop? Stay here, this main blog is for you.
Like it light and breezy, quick and dirty? Then head to the On the Bench.
So far I've posted just about every repair with exception of three guitars on the Bench blog (though I will get them back in the shop for photos!!!). Also the Bench blog is mirrored over at Tumblr so if you are on there consider giving it a follow!
I know on one of my posts from last year that I set some goals: four guitar builds and having the spray booth up and running. In both respects, I failed miserably. The spray booth components are still stacked up in the corner, awaiting a solid plan-of-installation (ie. requiring more time, more money). I do have some leads of people that I hope will help me, but it is still a long, long overdue project. Though I did not get my four guitars built I have started on a couple acoustics. You can check the progress On the Bench and I will be adding some posts on here soon. Rogue 005's body is glued up along with a new jumbo model that is dubbed the "Kalliope". This Kalliope 001 is a 16" lower bout and the client requested an arm bevel and a soundport. I also have a couple hollowbodies that await my attention as well.
Note that Rogue 005 is not spoken for as of this posting so please inquire if you are interested. Bearclaw Engelmann spruce top with Santa Maria Mahogany back and sides.
This year is very exciting as I am getting the build side of the shop up and running. Stay tuned!
: : : : : :
Ok, here is an output jack crack repair on an 80's Yamaha 335-style guitar. And yes, I said "output" jack - not the common "input" jack misnomer. For me, input jacks are for amps, output jacks are for guitars. The signal leaves the guitar and enters the amp, right?
This crack highlights why having repair experience feeds into building your own guitars. I always reinforce my output jacks in my builds for this very reason. The instrument cable is torquing the hell out of a small area of the guitar and over time something has to give. Many Gibson (ie. ES-175) with side jacks suffer this same crack and require some kind of reinforcement to be added when time comes for repair. But I get it - it is an extra step that adds expense in a factory environment. But in a small-volume build shop, I would highly suggest reinforcing the output jack.
This 1982 Yamaha SA 1200S has a solid spruce top, so it is particularly vulnerable to cracks that possibly a laminate top (plywood) could have withstood. So this will be photo-essay style from here on out. The basic plan of attack:
- remove the wiring harness
- glue the output jack crack
- reinforce the crack with cleats
- minor finish touch-up
- clean up / reinstall the wiring harness
- set up