Here's a left handed 2003 Fender Deluxe Strat body with a 2012 Custom Shop neck. This came in with a very high neck set over the body. The Micro Tilt screw in the neck pocket was engaged which allows you to quickly dial in the neck angle if necessary. I am not a fan of the Micro Tilt as it is a single screw that pushes up the rear of the neck and acts as a single-point shim. The better alternative is to use a traditional wood shim with as much contact in the joint as possible. This guitar did not require the neck to be shimmed as I backed off of the Micro Tilt and dropped the bridge down. Lefties are always a trip to play test!
Viewing entries tagged
A 1965 Strat reissue in to address a few high frets along with a setup. Every once in awhile I find that the saddle spring on the low E does not allow enough room to push the saddle back to it's ideal intonation point. To properly intonate these situations, the spring requires a few coils of this spring to be clipped. Sometime the G string saddle spring needs this too.
A client wanted his favorite guitar documented so I pulled it apart, took photos and wrote down some notes for him. It's a 2000 Mexi Strat body with a Tele neck that he put together.
The pickguard is loaded with Fender ’57/‘62 pickups measuring 6.42K (neck), 6.45K (middle non-RWRP), 6.45K (bridge). The middle pickup is non-reverse wound / non-reverse polarity so it is not hum cancelling in positions 2 and 4.
Some details of the audio path components:
- Master volume, neck & middle p/u tone, bridge p/u tone, 5-way switch
- 250K audio taper CTS volume pot “GTR ELEC 250KA CTS 0519”
- 250K linear taper CTS tone pots “EP4985 250K 0521"
- Sprague Vitamin Q 0.033 µf tone cap (shared)
The bridge is a Callaham Mexican Std vibrato bridge and arm.
The MIM Tele neck's details:
- Indian Rosewood fingerboard with 9.5"R
- 0.870" thick, 1-5/8" wide @ 1st fret
- 0.910" thick, 2" wide @ 12th fret
- frets 0.103" wide by 0.048" tall
- vintage style locking tuners
A new Strat in for a setup. The player does not use the vibrato bar so the bridge adjusted flush with the body similar to a hard tail. One bummer was that the truss rod nut seemed to be a little stripped from either the factory or music store. Making adjustments was a little sketchy as it was tough to get a solid bite with a standard Allen wrench.
Here's the rough pawn shop Strat ready to head back out. The major issues was that the posts holding the bridge were blown out and wrecking the action. Once the bridge area was repaired (along with the neck pocket), I went through with the setup. The bridge was fairly rusty, to the point I needed to use vise grips to remove the saddle height adjustment screws before replacing them with new ones. A new output jack finished it off (check the video from the daily vlog below).