Remember this guy from a couple months ago when it was in for a voodoo drop-signal repair? It's back in for new tuners (purchased pre-relic'd to match) and a fret end dress. Thankfully the signal is still going strong.
Viewing entries tagged
A relic'd partscaster Tele with a history of random signal loss in for a while-you-wait repair. This has been through a couple other shops in the area and ended up on my bench for an emergency fix last week. I did the usual checking of all connections by eye, with a meter, reflowing suspect joints and physically stressing connections while the guitar was connected to an amp. I even checked the resistance of both pickups to make sure there wasn't a broken coil. Something I did ended up fixing the no-output issue, but I don't know exactly what was the cause. Not exactly the most reassuring of repairs, but I made sure to shake, prod and bang on the guitar as much as I could before it left with the player. Good thing it is a relic!
Note that the fix got the player through the gig so now only time will tell if whatever fix I did will last.
TonePros bridge swap :: 2013 Gibson ES-335 TDC [7.8 lbs]
The player of this 335 found that the stock nylon saddles were not yielding the tone he was looking for. For a quick experiment, I pulled the TonePros bridge on my 1986 Howard Roberts Fusion and installed it on his 335. He liked the results of the metal saddles better so we decided to swap out the stock bridge. I ended up lightly distressing the new bridge to match the existing hardware. The new bridge was laid out, notched and set up in the vlog video below.
2000 Gibson SG [4.5 lbs] :: broken tuner & setup.
The player had been noticing that his G string would not stay in tune. After talking with him he remembered that he had bumped the headstock, specifically on the G tuner. It did not look obvious at first, but the rear casing of the tuner had broken loose. This allowed the gears to float slightly and not mesh tightly. We ended up just replacing the G tuner so I slightly tarnished the finish to better match the other tuners.
The setup included changing from 11's to 10's, cleaning the electronics, tightening the output jack and deburring the saddle slots.