The center seam on the back was open and needed to be glued and supported. Most acoustic guitars have an internal "seam strip" that reinforces the glue joint of the two halves of the back. This model does not so I needed to fit and install a couple to keep the joint closed. One ran from the neck block to the first brace and another between the first and second back braces. Note that Tacoma uses an upper bout soundhole so these repairs were a little more difficult to pull off versus a traditional soundhole.
Viewing entries tagged
This M-20 has been in the shop multiple times now for bridge reglues. Seems it likes to fail yearly most likely due to the fact it is so thin in the wings. I am trying to hold off on replacing the bridge until the guitar needs a neck reset. But really I think the guitar is pissed I did this to it's brother.
Up on the roof :: Chubbuck Rogue 005 & Kalliope 001
Not technically "on the bench" ... I jumped up on the roof to get a few photos of the new builds. I caught the tail end of the sunset and wanted to try again, but didn't have the chance before the Kalliope (right) shipped out last month. The Rogue (on the left) is available to demo in person here at the ship. Please contact me if interested. I have been enjoying hearing a variety of players and styles come through and play it for me. Video demos are up here as well: www.chubbuckguitars.com/video
Details on each guitar (build & final photos, specs, videos):
Family Heirloom :: 1965 Guild Mark I [3.0 lbs]
An all-mahogany (top too) Hoboken Guild classical in for a checkup. This a player's family heirloom that belonged to his father that unexpectedly passed away recently. He told me that this is the guitar that got him into playing when he was a kid. We opted to not fully clean the guitar, but only adjust the setup and lubricate the tuners. Unfortunately this has a low neck angle that could be reset (like this 1969 Mark III) in order to lower the action.
Shipping Damage & Bridge Re-glue :: 1971 Guild D25 Brown [4.2 lbs]
An all-mahogany Guild dreadnought that came in with significant shipping damage on the bass side. The side cracks were glued and the finish repaired to help hide the damage. We also found that the bridge was lifting and cracked through the pin holes, so it was removed, repaired and re-glued.