A beautiful gold top Les Paul Classic in for a good pot cleaning. Scratchiness be gone!
Viewing entries tagged
A reissue '52 Tele in for some noise issues. A few ground solder joints needed to be touched up along with cleaning out the pots with some contact cleaner. Back in business.
The first day back from the long weekend rolls on. Jumping head first into the butchered 1970s Gibson EB-3 mess. Doing my best to get this back as close to stock as you can while dealing with an added 3rd P pickup. I also decided to relocate the previously moved rotary switch back home and add back original controls, so some drilling out of plugs was required. A Curtis Novak choke is going in (original missing), along with Emerson Custom CTS pots. What a mess!
Follow along with this #eb3mystery project here.
A relic'd partscaster Tele with a history of random signal loss in for a while-you-wait repair. This has been through a couple other shops in the area and ended up on my bench for an emergency fix last week. I did the usual checking of all connections by eye, with a meter, reflowing suspect joints and physically stressing connections while the guitar was connected to an amp. I even checked the resistance of both pickups to make sure there wasn't a broken coil. Something I did ended up fixing the no-output issue, but I don't know exactly what was the cause. Not exactly the most reassuring of repairs, but I made sure to shake, prod and bang on the guitar as much as I could before it left with the player. Good thing it is a relic!
Note that the fix got the player through the gig so now only time will tell if whatever fix I did will last.
This Warmoth Strat is approximately 30 years old and was tough to play. The player and I found out that the bridge was vintage spaced and pushed the strings far too close to the edge of the fingerboard. The solution was to swap it out for a new Callaham V/N bridge. The "V" stands for vintage mount (6 screws) and the "N" is for narrow spacing. Wow, what a difference in both playability and sustain. (note the outer 2 bridge mounting screws were omitted as there must have been a 2 point bridge at some time with two large post holes in the body - we may opt to plug thesein the future). We also replaced the pots as the old ones were pretty rough. I used an Emerson Custom 500KA pot for the volume and went with Bourns pots for the tones. I initially had Emersons in for the tones too but found the sweep far too subtle for most of the pot's travel for this guitar (around 2-3 they began to roll off rather quickly). The Bill Lawrence bridge pickup's plastic mounting tabs were stripped out so they were plugged and re-tapped.
The pot swap was featured over on the vlog (video below).