The soundhole edge was busted and needed to be repaired. Open strings had quite a bit of buzzing so I removed the nut, added a mahogany shim, reglued the nut and adjusted the slots. The worn frets are past the point of leveling so new frets will be in this guitar's future. Often with new frets a new nut is required hence the shimmed nut will get him by until he's ready for the refret.
Viewing entries tagged
A common acoustic repair shown here is damage to the sound hole. This section was broken in two places and hinged at the rosette's inner ring. The fix is to fit and glue a supporting cleat inside the sound hole. Once I make the cleat, I like to glue the break and install the cleat in one shot. For bonus points, I also slightly age the new cleat so it looks like an older repair.
A dreadnought in for a setup last week for a grandmother's Christmas present to her grandson. The soundhole edge had significant damage near the pickguard. Most of the pieces were there but it wasn't going to result in a pretty repair. A couple custom plexiglass cauls to flatten out the area along with a few clamps and hot hide glue for the fix.
Above is my camera rig for this day's daily video. You can subscribe over at my Youtube channel to follow along.
100 Year Old Restoration :: Lyon & Healy Bowl Back Mandolin [1.3 lbs]
Whew! Finally finished up this ~100 year old mandolin restoration a couple weeks ago. Let's see ... neck & fingerboard reglue, missing soundhole pieces, cracked / loose top bracing, loose back ribs, new inlayed pickguard (courtesy of Dave Nichols Custom Pearl Inlay), new bridge and properly spaced new tuners (peghead had to be bunged & redrilled). A lot of hours into this little fella. Excited to drop it off to it's new owner. I went to high school with him in PA and this was his grandmother's mandolin. Always an honor to work on family heirlooms.
Until I gather everything into a single blog post, you can check out the previous progress of this project here.