A common acoustic repair shown here is damage to the sound hole. This section was broken in two places and hinged at the rosette's inner ring. The fix is to fit and glue a supporting cleat inside the sound hole. Once I make the cleat, I like to glue the break and install the cleat in one shot. For bonus points, I also slightly age the new cleat so it looks like an older repair.
Viewing entries tagged
Pre-tour tune up :: 2001 Gibson SG [7.3 lbs]
Jonathon of Tigerman WOAH dropped by to have his SG checked out for an upcoming run down to Nashville, TN. Those who have been following the shop for some time will recognize this well-played workhorse. It's been in for a broken control cavity, broken headstock, broken strap button screws, etc. This time it was in for a high fret. Check out the vlog to see the problem fret addressed.
TonePros bridge swap :: 2013 Gibson ES-335 TDC [7.8 lbs]
The player of this 335 found that the stock nylon saddles were not yielding the tone he was looking for. For a quick experiment, I pulled the TonePros bridge on my 1986 Howard Roberts Fusion and installed it on his 335. He liked the results of the metal saddles better so we decided to swap out the stock bridge. I ended up lightly distressing the new bridge to match the existing hardware. The new bridge was laid out, notched and set up in the vlog video below.
100 Year Old Restoration :: Lyon & Healy Bowl Back Mandolin [1.3 lbs]
Whew! Finally finished up this ~100 year old mandolin restoration a couple weeks ago. Let's see ... neck & fingerboard reglue, missing soundhole pieces, cracked / loose top bracing, loose back ribs, new inlayed pickguard (courtesy of Dave Nichols Custom Pearl Inlay), new bridge and properly spaced new tuners (peghead had to be bunged & redrilled). A lot of hours into this little fella. Excited to drop it off to it's new owner. I went to high school with him in PA and this was his grandmother's mandolin. Always an honor to work on family heirlooms.
Until I gather everything into a single blog post, you can check out the previous progress of this project here.